In culture after culture, people believe that the soul lives on after death, that rituals can change the physical world and divine the truth, and that illness and misfortune are caused and alleviated by spirits, ghosts, saints ... and gods.

STEVEN PINKER, How the Mind Works


Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What is DOP (disappearing object phenomenon)?


DOP - disappearing object phenomenon - is a relatively common phenomenon in which an object disappears from view and later inexplicably returns. For example, a person puts their car keys on a kitchen counter, where they are always kept. When the person goes to get them, they are gone. A thorough search turns up nothing. Later, the keys are found on the counter where they were originally put (or some other obvious place.
 

It's difficult to document a genuine DOP occurrence because people can be careless, simply misplace things or be forgetful. But there are many compelling stories from people who are certain they looked for the object in the place that it later appears. In some cases, people audibly call out for the object to be returned - and it is. In some rare cases, the missing object has actually been seen materializing out of thin air. It is also known as the "borrower" phenomenon. It may be related to poltergeist phenomena.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've experienced this, once my bookshelf suddenly fell for no reason. The shelf was heavy and nothing could have set it off, as I reorganized the shelf I realized a small red stone elephant was missing. I moved the shelf below it and even moved the entire bookshelf with no result! I searched everywhere but could not find it, and to this day it hasn't reappeared. I found this article because I searched for DOP just today I realized my earrings were missing and haven't reappeared either